Enter the DuPont Company
In 1924, DuPont, in conjunction with General Motors, developed a nitrocellulose paint lacquer that dried fast and came in several colors, the most popular of which was blue. They also developed a sprayer for the paint virtually eliminating the brushing process for painting. This was still an air-dried lacquer, but it was a faster process and sped up production at the factory. New paint came in the 1930s that was enamel instead of lacquer and it was baked on the the car's frame. This paint lasted longer and retained its shine better over time. The automobile was mounted on an assembly stand and pulled into the painting room, sprayed by a person and baked in place, then pulled down the line for further assembly. The paint overspray on the walls and assembly stands would also be baked in place, making a very hard, thick product.
Red Heart Fordite Pendant by Joan Madouse in sterling silver-filled wire and Red Fordite pendant wire wrapped in silver-filled wire by Joan Madouse