- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Daily Wire Tip Apr. 17: Is Fruit Quartz Really Quartz?
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip for
April 17, 2011
Hi Dale, I love that your instructional style is so clear and concise. It really helps me create an impressive first try!
I read recently that fruit named quartzes, like cherry quartz, are really man made glass based. I always figured they were dyed quartz. What are your thoughts?
-Jeanne in Waukesha, Wisconsin
Hi Jeanne, thanks for your kind comments regarding my teaching style (I really do love what I do!).
The reasoning behind these sales labels is that glass is made of high-quality sand (meaning the mineral silica, which is Quartz), therefore, vendors deem it OK to label these glass variations as quartz.
We have had a couple of discussions on these terms, that you might also find interesting such as Red Ruby Quartz and what really is Kiwi Lapis. If you are looking for an inexpensive, yet pretty item to include in your summer designs, Fruit Quartz will fit that need.
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong