- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Daily Wire Tip Apr. 3: Making Prongs for Deeper Girdles
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip for
April 3, 2011
Dale, I attended your classes at Wild Beads in Arlington, and they were great. Thank you so much for bringing your classes to our part of the world!
I took your Orbit Prong Pendant class and am having a problem with the prongs. I purchased several "crazy stones" from Wire Sculpture and am finding that the girdle is arced in the middle and quite a bit deeper than the other large stones. Do you have a different configuration for the "kicking feet" to use with these stones?
-Patty in San Angelo, Texas
Hi Patty! Actually I will be teaching 3 full day Workshops in Houston at the end of this month – come on down!
With regard to any stone that has a girdle thicker than 1mm, add the width of the girdle to the overall prong length and make that second bend using a wider part of your chain nose pliers, causing the prong section that hugs the girdle to be a bit deeper. That’s it!
Answer contributed by Dale "Cougar" Armstrong
Have a Question? Click Here to Submit Your Question