- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Daily Wire Tip Dec. 27: Wrapping a Pear-Shaped Cut Stone
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip for
December 27, 2010
I need suggestions for wrapping a pear shaped cut stone with a point on the back. It is 17 carat. Help! Should I make a cage or something else?
-Kathleen in Chattanooga, Tennessee
Hi Kathleen, there are several ways to set a stone with a culet.
In the Advanced DVD series, one way would be to make it into a pendant using the “Orbit” prong pendant design; another would be to use the Prong Frame pendant design. Of course, either of these can also be altered for smaller stones to create earrings, too.
If you decide to use a frame, you will either have to add pattern wire in the center, or use a lot of wires to be able to make the frame deep enough to prevent the culet from rocking on the skin (which can be irritating to wear). I do love pear shapes, though, because they are so easy to work with!
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a Question? Click Here to Submit Your Question