- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Daily Wire Tip Oct. 21: Black Goop on Tumbled Silver
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip for
October 21, 2010
Hi Dale, I read your tips every day, and you give great advice. I recently had a problem with my tumbler. It left a black sticky residue on my silver jewelry. Now I am afraid to use it. I used it according to manufacturer’s instructions. Has the rubber gone bad, or can I fix this?
-Vicki in Miami, Florida
Hi Vicki, you didn’t mention if your tumbler is new or if you have been using it for a while. We have had some great discussions on the reasons for the "black goop" that appears on both the shot and jewelry pieces in a tumbler. To read all about them, please read these posts and their comments: How to Keep Stainless Steel Shot free of Residue and New Drums Leaving Black on Silver.
If anyone else has some good advice and would like to share their experiences, please do!
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a question? Submit your question here