- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Daily Wire Tip: How to Use a Wire Gauge
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip
How do I find out what size my wire is? I’m not sure what wire gauge it is.
-Mary in Santa Rosa, California
Mary, you can use a wire gauge tool to determine the size. I would like to explain how to use a wire gauge.
If you hover over this picture of a wire gauge tool, you will notice that the top of the slit between each number/size is straight on each side. This is where your wire is placed to determine its size. Simply fit the wire between the slits until the wire rubs against them: not too tight, but still snug.
You can measure round, half round, and square wire with this tool. For half round, make sure you measure across the widest point of the wire. For square wire, place the flat sides of the wire between the metal slits.
Here’s an image of the Wire-Sculpture staff measuring a 14-gauge round piece of copper wire.
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a question? Submit your question here