- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Daily Wire Tip July 14: Upcycling Service Pins
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip
July 14, 2010
Dale, do you have suggestions for making jewelry – perhaps a necklace – from “service pins”? They look like a tie tac and are given for so many years of service, special events, etc by businesses.
-Sharon in Orange Park, Florida
Actually, I have made two different designs using these commemorative pins. For each I first used a pair of utility wire cutters to remove the pin back and then used a Dremel to buff down the remaining burr.
One of these now charm-like pieces I set into a ring using the classic cabochon design (or Pharaoh’s ring pattern) and the other I made into a pendant using a basic frame wrap. Both owners of these new jewelry items were thrilled, as now they would wear their special pieces more often.
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a question? Submit your question here