- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Daily Wire Tip July 13: Calculating Carat Weight
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip
July 13, 2010
Many of your gems are sized in mm. Is there a formula for determining the amount of carets a gem has?
-Rebecca in Erie, Colorado
All gems are sized in millimeters (mm). Each gem has a different chemical structure and the weight of each gem is dependent on that chemical structure, therefore there is no formula that equates weight to size for different gems.
If you desire to sell your finished wire jewelry item by the carat weight, you could use a scale to weigh the stone after you purchase it and before you wrap it.
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a question? Submit your question here