- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Making Balled Ear Wires By Oksana Trukhan
by Judy Ellis, Wirejewelry.com
Wire Jewelry Tip for August 8th, 2017
Making Balled Ear Wires
by Oksana Truhan
This is a very fast and simple way to make your own elegant ear wires. You can use 19- or 20- gauge sterling silver wire. Both will be sufficiently strong ear wires. However, you’ll find that sterling wire doesn’t ball cleanly in the torch due to the copper in its composition. (There are no such problems with fine silver.) But there is a way to get smooth beautiful balls on the sterling silver. Just use powder of borax or flux.
Bend the wire at right angles, immerse it into the borax or flux and heat with the butane torch. Be careful – silver melts very quickly.
Now bend the wire to the shape of a hook and flatten it with a hammer at the curve to strengthen them.
If the hook is too thick for the ears, use the file to make it thinner and more comfortable.