- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Featured Tool: Anvils and Bench Blocks
by Judy Ellis, Wirejewelry.com
Wire Jewelry Tool Tip for March 10th 2017
Refresh Your Workbench: Anvils and Bench Blocks
Is it time to refresh the tools on your workbench? Well today, we take a look at a few simple, but very useful tools – the Anvil and Bench Block.
Forging and hammering metal is a basic metalsmithing technique used repeatedly at the bench. The intense process of shaping metal with hammers makes it necessary to have the perfect surface to absorb repeated blows of the hammer.
Bench blocks and anvils are the most common tools for this technique. Some are created for a specific purpose, while others are for general bench work. A variety of choices are available – let’s take a look at a few choices today!
Anvils are excellent for a variety of uses because of their weight. They make great bench blocks for shaping metal.
Below is a short video from Kate Richbourg with a few tips on using the Bench Block.
I hope you find this tool tip helpful, and if you need to refresh your workbench - CLICK HERE for more great tools!