- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
The 5-Minute, 5-Things Ring
by Judy Ellis, Wire-Sculpture.com
Daily Wire Jewelry Tip May 15th, 2015
A 5-Minute Project for 5-15-15
In honor of today’s date: 5-15-15, I thought we’d re-visit a great tip that we received from our good friend Kate Richbourg last year at the Tucson Gem Show!
The 5- Minute, 5-Things Ring
Kate says: “I am always up for a quick and easy and off-the-cuff project. The result is this fast and stylish wire ring. Don’t worry that your spiral may not look like mine. Creativity is the key here. Try it with round wire in a different gauge, tighter or looser spirals or more wire for a bigger spiral. Create and have fun.”
The five things you need:
- 1 ft 18g copper square wire
- Ring mandrel
- Chain nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Liver of sulfur (optional) and a Ultra Polish Pad
The five steps:
1. Cut 1 ft. of wire and wrap it twice around the ring mandrel at your preferred with the ends crossing on the top with tails of equal length.
2. Use your hands to pull one wire to the left about a quarter way around. The wires will start to form an s-shape to make the interior of the spiral. Repeat with the second tail. Switch between each tail of wire, forming the spiral and keeping it flat. Stop when you have about 1/2″ tails remaining on both wires. Be as free-form as you like and don’t worry about getting a perfect spiral. A free-form spiral looks great with this design.
3. Use chain nose pliers to wrap the tails around the shank of the ring on each side. 2-4 wraps per side will secure the spiral.
4. Place the ring back on the ring mandrel and adjust the shape.
If you’d like to know more about using Liver of Sulfur, CLICK HERE for great article on how to use it!