- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Bezels
- Tube Set Charm by Kim St. Jean
- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Double Band Ear Cuff from Alex Simkin
Helping your Silver Jewelry Survive the Summer
by Judy Ellis, Wire-Sculpture.com
Jewelry Tip May 28, 2014
Helping your Silver Jewelry Survive the Summer!
As I’ve been prepping for the summer months, I ran across a few wonderful reminders that I’d thought I’d share.
There is nothing better than enjoying the hot summer days, especially when you’re vacationing at the beach or relaxing poolside. While you’re busy enjoying the sun, however, you may not be aware of the toll that the summer season can take on your silver and other metal jewelry. Sunscreen may help protect your skin, but it can potentially harm your jewelry.
- Before you layer on the SPF, make sure you remove any jewelry that you are wearing.
- Beware of applying lotions and oils while wearing your jewelry, as these can get caught in the crevices and details of your jewelry.
- If these substances remain on your items they can cause tarnishing and make cleaning more difficult.
Keep it shiny!
- Sweat and skin oils can diminish the gleam of your silver as well.
- Make it a habit during these hot months to wipe down your jewelry after wear with a plain, non-abrasive cloth. Cleaning your jewelry regularly will help prevent tarnish and keep your collection shining.
- Use anti-tarnish products. Products like anti-tarnish strips, squares, pouches, and boxes protect the items. Look for products that are easy to use, non-toxic, and non-abrasive for best results.
Remove before you take that dive:
- If you prefer to stay poolside instead of the beach, remove your jewelry before you dive in. Why not carry a few small baggies or a small container with you to keep your jewelry safe and secure?
- Chlorine and other pool chemicals can cause discoloration on your silver.
Repair for longer life:
- Wearing jewelry to the beach is always a bit of a risk so make sure your pieces are secure before putting them on.
- Rings can often slide off while swimming and loose clasps can easily open causing your necklaces or bracelets to disappear into the sand.
- Try replacing any loose claps with new closures for a better piece of mind!
Storage for your silver:
- When you are done wearing, try storing your silver jewelry in a cool, dry place, preferably away from sunlight. Try using a small organizer or box to keep earrings and necklaces separate, but remember to store them in a baggie to help keep out the tarnish!
Protecting your silver jewelry will give it a longer and more beautiful life!