- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Daily Wire Tip Oct. 4: 28-Gauge Wire Project Ideas
- Introducing Coiling & Weaving Wire Jewelry DVDs
- Daily Wire Tip Feb. 5: Setting Large Gems in Prong Pendants
Daily Wire Tip Dec. 31: Cup Burrs and Removing Burrs
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip for
December 31, 2010
I viewed a video earlier this year, showing how to finish ear wires. The lady had a small rotary tool with a burr cup attachment to smooth the end point of the ear wire. Would you know where to find this video, and where I can buy the cup burr? I have used my straight file, but this would be better and faster. Thank you.
-Jo in Arlee, Montana
I do know where to find the video clip showing how to use the cup burr you are looking for, Jo. Simply go to the left side of this page, and click on the category Free Video Jewelry Making Tutorials. In that category, you’ll find the video, called Removing Wire Burrs. As you mentioned, this video shows several methods of removing burrs at the end of cut wire, especially with cup burr tools.
Unfortunately, we do not carry just a selection of cup burrs. You can easily find them on the web, search for “cup burr”, or check out our sister site, JewelryTools.com (bottom of the first page).
We do have an alternate solution, the Wire Rounder. This tool is a cup burr, attached to a wooden handle so it is easy to use by hand. However if you were making a LOT of ear wires, then you would want to do as Sonja does and put a cup bur into your automatic wire twister.
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a Question? Click Here to Submit Your Question