- Prong Basket Pendant by Kim St. Jean
- NEW DVD Series – Stone Setting with Cold Connections
- New DVD Series – Stone Setting with Wire
- NEW DVD Series: Introduction to Stone Setting by Kim St. Jean
- Featured Tool: Bracelet Bending Plier
- NEW Dvd by Eva Sherman
- Fun, Fast Fold Forming DVD Series
- Daily Wire Tip Oct. 4: 28-Gauge Wire Project Ideas
- Introducing Coiling & Weaving Wire Jewelry DVDs
- Daily Wire Tip Feb. 5: Setting Large Gems in Prong Pendants
Daily Wire Tip Aug. 11: Converting Pins to Bracelet Charms
Daily Wire Jewelry Making Tip
August 11, 2010
Related to the Tip of the Day for July 14; any thoughts on how to convert these service or commemorative pins to charms for a bracelet?
I have a son in the service, plus a drawer full of Boy Scout awards from both of my sons. I’d love to make bracelets for their future wives.
-Cheri in Plains, Montana
What a great idea, Cheri! My advice would be to make a simple frame wrap around the item, after removing the pin and smoothing as in my original answer. Instead of forming a traditional pendant bail at the top, form a short, two-wire "bail style", folding the wires towards the front, and inserting this "charm bail" into the bracelet chain link before wrapping the charm bail closed. This will eliminate the weak spot of a jump ring.
Answer contributed by Dale “Cougar” Armstrong
Have a question? Submit your question here